If you want to insert an image (like your picture, signature etc.) to an existing pdf file and you don't have acrobat professional version (that allows you to edit a pdf file within the software). Then you may be able to use the following steps with combination of different tools that are available in linux:
- You have an image file (say, one lovely picture) and one pdf file (Orig.pdf) to which you want to insert your picture
- Use "gimp" to open them. For the pdf file, you have to select which page that you want to insert your picture to, and then open the page (NOTE: in order to have good quality and same size as the original page, you may have to set "resolution" as 320. I tried 300 and 400, and realized that 320 is the proper value)
- In "gimp", copy your picture on the pdf page. You can use the menu "Layer -> Scale Layer ..." to scale your picture to fit your requirement.
- Save your modified pdf page as one "eps" file.
- In terminal, convert the eps file to a pdf file by "epstopdf MyPage.eps" to get MyPage.pdf
- Then, still in your terminal, use the tool "pdftk" to merge the 2 pdf files (Orig.pdf and MyPage.pdf):
where we assume MyPage.pdf will be inserted as Page 5 while totoal pages in Orig.pdf are 11 pages.
Merge pdf files:
pdftk 1.pdf 2.pdf 3.pdf cat output 123.pdf